Growing up in a toxic household is a traumatic experience not easy to recover from. For today’s article, I prepared a collection of toxic narcissistic mother quotes to help you heal your childhood wounds.
The relationship with your mother is the most important of your life and determines every other relationship that comes after.
That’s why it’s crucial to understand that relationship’s dynamics and the patterns formed during your early years.
If your mother had some toxic narcissistic tendencies, it affected you and your mental health, whether you’re aware of it or not.
It’s, therefore, very important to analyze those patterns and try to understand what was happening. It will help you to heal your wounds and prevent repeating those unhealthy patterns.
To help you understand and deal with your toxic narcissistic mother, I’ve collected 100 inspirational quotes that will give you some clarity and understanding.
I’ve carefully selected the best toxic narcissistic mother quotes from different sources on the web. Stay with me until the end to discover plenty of inspiring life quotes.
Let’s start exploring!
Top 10 Toxic Narcissistic Mother Quotes
To begin with, I’ve chosen these 10 toxic narcissistic mother quotes I found most inspiring. Have a look!
1. “An unpredictable parent is a fearsome god in the eyes of a child.” ― Susan Forward
2. “A narcissist’s criticism is their autobiography.” ― M. Wakefield
3. “A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love.” — Sherrie Campbell
4. “Parents wonder why the streams are bitter when they themselves have poisoned the fountain.” ― John Locke
5. “Most narcissistic mothers see motherhood as a burden and like to let it be known how much work it is.” — Michelle Piper
6. “Somehow I believed it was my obligation to try to do the right thing by her because she had given birth to me.” ― D.G. Kaye
7. “I was worthy of her love whether she gave it to me or not. Every child is worthy of love.” ― Richard Paul Evans
8. “An unloving mother robs the child of a sense of belonging. The need to belong can become a lifelong quest for him or her.” ― Peg Streep
9. “It has been my observation that parents kill more dreams than anybody.” – Spike Lee
10. “Family is supposed to be our safest haven. Very often, it’s the place we find the deepest heartache.” — Lyanla Vansant
See also: 140 Greatest Fake Family Quotes To Get Over It
Deep Toxic Narcissistic Mother Quotes
Below you’ll find more deep toxic narcissistic mother quotes. Check them out!
1. “Silent treatment is a narcissist’s most used weapon.” — unknown
2. “The narcissist mother refuses to acknowledge her games if she is pouting, let her. If she is using guilt in an attempt to force you to do something, do not give in.” — Cynthia Bailey Rug
3. “As long as you continue to react so strongly to them, you give them the power to upset you, which allows them to control you.” ― Susan Forward
4. “We forget in order to survive our childhoods when we are totally dependent on our parents’ goodwill; but to recover from such childhoods, we must begin by remembering the bad and the good.” ― Victoria Secunda
5. “Just because someone gives you life doesn’t mean they will love you in the right way.” — unknown
6. “Parents are supposed to give the child back to herself with love. If they’ve got duct tape over their eyes because of narcissism, it doesn’t happen.” — Jane Fonda
7. “Feel sorry for your narcissistic mother, by all means. But know that you have every right to feel sorry for her from a safe distance.” — Danu Morrigan
8. “If all toxic moms understood the difference between healthy motherly love and toxic, destructive love, they wouldn’t be toxic in the first place.” — Samuel Zulu
9. “You don’t have to repeat the trauma of your childhood. Use the pain your mother inflicted on you to motivate you to find a better way to raise your own children.” — Barrie Davenport
10. “Healthy moms are a delight to their children, but toxic moms are a source of grief to their own children.” — Samuel Zulu
11. “The truth is that the happier and stronger you are, the more unhappy the narcissistic parent is because when you feel good, they lose their grip over you, and the ability to shame you.” ― Diana Macey
12. “You don’t have to feel guilty if you have to distance yourself for a while from your toxic mom if she becomes too toxic to be around her in peace without causing any drama.” — unknown
13. “If you hold on to hurt and anger with a narcissist, the children will have no normal parent. The narcissistic parent will use them as puppets, lovebomb, and abandon them. You are their only hope.” — Tracy Malone
14. “Very often, toxic moms will abandon their own children and find meaningless excuses to justify their deeds as to why they are not able to be there for their children.” — unknown
15. “When you grieve toxic, abusive parents, you don’t just grieve the abuse, you grieve everything you didn’t have.” — Lily Hope Lucario
16. “Sometimes, unconditional love from you, which you were never given by your abusive and toxic mom, is all that your toxic mom may need to help her realize where she came up short.” — unknown
17. “The narcissist mother refuses to acknowledge her games if she is pouting, let her. If she is using guilt in an attempt to force you to do something, do not give in.” — Cynthia Bailey Rug
18. “If a toxic mom claims to love you, kindly remind her that there is a big difference between real love and abuse or control disguised as love and that real love doesn’t hurt nor is it abusive.” — unknown
19. “Victimization is a common tactic toxic mothers use to victimize their children to make them submissive to their controlling tyrannical rule.” — Samuel Zulu
20. “Sometimes you need to give up on people, not because you don’t care but because they don’t.” — unknown
See also: 100 Maybe It’s Time To Give Up Quotes To Help You Move On
Selfish Toxic Mother Quotes
These toxic narcissistic mother quotes about selfish mothers are eye-opening!
1. “A toxic mother talks but never listens, and she gives advice but never takes any.” — Sherrie Campbell
2. “Gaslighting is a major tool of manipulation. It’s about distorting your perceptions and asserting what works better for the abuser.” ― Diana Macey
3. “For toxic mothers out there, just know that your toxic and abusive behaviour will one day backfire when the children you are mistreating grow up and become adults.” — Samuel Zulu
4. “Silent treatment cannot be argued with. It’s based on emotions and not on logic. The line of communication is cut off, and it means the existence of the child can be reduced to nothing.” ― Diana Macey
5. “Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life on his terms.” — Elizabeth Bowen
6. “Boys and girls of narcissistic mothers both have to deal with a deficit of maternal nurturing that their upbringing lacked.” ― Mark Bans Chick
7. “Just because your mother gave birth to you doesn’t mean they are capable of caring for you. Just because a woman had a child doesn’t necessarily equate to being safe, respectful, or healthy. NOT ALL MOTHERS CAN LOVE.” ― Dana Arcuri
8. “The narcissist is like a bucket with a hole in the bottom: No matter how much you put in, you can never fill it up.” — Dr. Ramani Durvasula
9. “Let’s get out of the habit of telling people, ‘that’s still your mom, your dad, or your sister.’ Toxic is toxic. You are allowed to walk away from people who constantly hurt you.” — Bynnada
10. “All toxic mothers are more dangerous than absent fathers due to their contagious toxic energy which poisons your soul.” — unknown
11. “There’s a definition of narcissism that when a parent is narcissistic, instead of the child seeing himself reflected in the mother’s face and the mother’s joy, the child of the narcissistic parent feels like, ‘What can I do to make her, okay, to make her happy?'” — Susan Sullivan
12. “Sometimes, narcissistic parents are also better loved from a distance to avoid further emotional damage.” — unknown
13. “We are all born the same, we are completely cute, innocent, sweet, and we need that reflection of ourselves as little human beings to live, and I was not receiving that from my mother.” ― Anneke Lucas
14. “In troubled families, abuse and neglect are permitted. It’s talking about them that is forbidden.” — Marcia Sirota
15. “Many children of toxic parents find it exceptionally difficult to identify who they are once they grow up.” — JR Thorpe
16. “When I was with my mother, I sometimes thought of myself as a trophy. Something to be flaunted before friends. When out of public view, I sat on the shelf ignored and forgotten.” — Joan Frances
17. “Many toxic parents compare one sibling unfavorably with another to make the target child feel that he’s not doing enough to gain parental affection. This motivates the child to do whatever the parents want in order to regain their favor. This divide-and-conquer technique is often unleashed against children who become a little too independent, threatening the balance of the family system.” — Susan Forward
18. “Toxic moms are self-absorbed parents, which is why they are controlling and possessive in the first place to their children.” — Samuel Zulu
19. “Narcissists don’t see their children as separate people that have a right to experience life from their own angle. There is no option in their heads in which the kids will be in charge of their own lives ‘unaided’ by the narcissist.” ― Diana Macey
20. “How to tell if someone is not good for you? You being yourself feels like a betrayal.” — unknown
Toxic Narcissist Quotes For Mothers
Here are more toxic narcissistic mother quotes for you to check out.
1. “How to tell if someone is not good for you? You being yourself feels like a betrayal.” — unknown
2. “I will give my toxic mother one thing she never gave me – the truth.” ― Rayne Wolfe
3. “It is both tragic and freeing to accept that your mother is not capable of being the mother you always needed her to be.” — Stephi Wagner
4. “My toxic mother can only intimidate me if I let her. While she’s busy trying to bully the child, I, the adult, can reject her, ignore her, or report her to authorities.” ― Rayne Wolf
5. “A narcissistic parent will provoke an independent child to anger in order to feel superior and prove the child’s flaws.” — Shannon Thomas
6. “Covert narcissists prey on people with the right weaknesses for them to exploit. This is why the abuse is wrapped in a pretense of care, and they can get people fooled for a very long time.” ― Diana Macey
7. “Narcissism is not about self-love. It’s a clinical trait that belies a deep sense of emptiness, low self-esteem, emotional detachment, self-loathing, extreme problems with intimacy.” — Drew Pinsky
8. “When narcissists behave in an exhibitionistic manner, they are seeking the same sort of admiration as toddlers, and for the same reasons. They want attention. Some examples include inappropriate dress, talking too loudly, or gesturing in expansive and space-intruding ways.” — Mark Ettensohn
9. “Children of narcissists learn that love is abuse. The narcissist teaches them that if someone displeases you, it is okay to harm them and call it love.” — M. Wakefield
10. “Cutting your toxic mother off is not bad, it’s called self-care.” — unknown
11. “You don’t have to feel guilty if you have to distance yourself for a while from your toxic mom if she becomes too toxic to be around her in peace without causing any drama.” — unknown
12. “Our mothers tell us that there are no monsters under our beds or hidden inside our closets, but they don’t warn us that sometimes monsters come dressed as people that claim to love you more than the sun loves the moon.” — Nikita Gill
13. “While a narcissistic mother will gossip endlessly about the most details about your life, she is very secretive about her own life. She will lie about you but will punish you for telling them what she has done.” ― Gail Meyers
14. “Toxic mothers have this type of toxic, manipulative love which is controlling and possessive in nature and never allows you to be yourself or express your true individuality.” — unknown
15. “Sadly, most toxic mothers don’t even know that the unhealthy behavior they display to their children is toxic in the first place.” — Samuel Zulu
Toxic Bad Mom Quotes
What makes someone a bad mother? Read on and find out. These toxic narcissistic mother quotes will give you the answer.
1. “Toxic mothers always remain the strangest, craziest people we’ve ever met.” — Marguerite Duras
2. “If someone gets angry at you for setting a boundary, consider that a good sign that the boundary was necessary.” — Jenna Korf
3. “Getting angry when something about their behavior is challenged in the nicest way is a typical reaction of a narcissistic parent.” ― Diana Macey
4. “Hate is the complement of fear, and narcissists like being feared. It imbues them with an intoxicating sensation of omnipotence.” ― Sam Vaknin
5. “Narcissist mothers teach their daughters that love is not unconditional, that it is given only when they behave by maternal expectations and whims.” ― Dr. McBride
6. “Toxic mothers are toxic because of deep underlying issues in their lives such as a rough childhood, physical and emotional abuse which occurred in their early childhood.” — Samuel Zulu
7. “It’s not your fault that your mom is toxic as it isn’t your job to raise your mom because she is already an adult responsible for her own life choices just as you are responsible for your own.” — unknown
8. “If toxic mothers are not getting the attention they crave from their children, they experience their children as inconveniences who stand in their way of doing what they want to do for themselves.” — Sherrie Campbell
9. “The narcissistic mother cannot give her child unconditional love. She’s not capable of being selfless, devoted, warm, mature, or attentive to you. Instead, everything is about her. Life revolves around meeting her unrealistic, immature needs. She expects your undivided attention. Your admiration. Your praises. Your loyalty to her. She demands you to meet her needs no matter how ridiculous they can be.” ― Dana Arcuri
10. “Unhealthy families discourage individual expression. Everyone must conform to the thoughts and actions of the toxic parents.” — Dr. Susan Forward
11. “Toxic moms are immature emotionally, which is why they behave the way they do. So, don’t mind their toxic behavior and concentrate on living your best life and don’t let their drama affect the quality of your livelihood.” — unknown
12. “Abusive parents often blame their children for their abusive and immature behavior as a way of covering their tracks so that they don’t look bad.” — unknown
13. “If you were raised as a child by a narcissistic mom, you might have spent a lifetime being mistreated and shamed for things that you never did. Toxic shame is a result of being told you are not enough. You may feel worthless and unlovable.” ― Dana Arcuri
14. “Denial is the lid on our emotional pressure cooker: the longer we leave it on, the more pressure we build up. Sooner or later, that pressure is bound to pop the lid, and we have an emotional crisis.” ― Susan Forward
15. “Whether it’s a parent, sibling, friend, or family member, do not allow a destructive person to put you down a hole for the rest of your life.” — unknown
See also: 110 Inspiring When Someone Puts You Down Quotes To Live By
Toxic Parents Quotes
Next up is a collection of toxic parents quotes. Check it out!
1. “I have a gaping painful hole in my soul where good, loving parents and a normal, safe childhood should have been.” — Lily Hope Lucario
2. “If you have to parent your mother and put up with her childish and selfish behaviors, it may be time to create more serious boundaries for your own self-protection.” — Barrie Davenport
3. “Toxic mothers plant seeds of guilt, low self-esteem, and low self-worth into their daughters, which further manifests when those daughters get into their own relationships, making them extremely needy or even toxic just like their own moms.” — unknown
4. “By undermining you, they make sure that if you complain about the narcissistic parent, nobody will believe you because they already have a certain negative image of you. Again, this abusive behavior is just how narcissists live day to day. The plotting and manipulation is necessary to twist others around their false image.” ― Diana Macey
5. “Statistics show that a narcissistic mother has a 98% chance of raising a narcissistic son. As a result, he will lie, cheat, steal, & in some cases, kill.” ― Mitta Xinindlu
6. “Since narcissists deep down feel themselves to be faultless, it is inevitable that when they are in conflict with the world, they will invariably perceive the conflict as the world’s fault.” ― M. Scott Peck
7. “Apparently, my parents were not worried about me being sick because they did not suggest any such thing. My sickness was nothing but a failure of character.” ― Diana Macey
8. “I didn’t grow up having role models. I grew up having people I didn’t want to be like and seeing situations I’d never want to be in. Not all of us are dealt the right cards, but that doesn’t mean you can’t reshuffle your deck for a better outcome.” — Irina Vujakilja
9. “Parents are destined to sin against their kids; it’s inevitable. As is narcissism and the human condition. Everyone has their ego and their ambitions. Life happens in between.” — Alice Ripley
10. “When you have this hurt for this long, particularly when a bond so sacred as the mother to child is broken, it’s a slow walk to healing.” — Iyanla Vanzant
See also: 140 Bond Between Mother And Child Quotes To Warm Your Heart
Selfish Parents Quotes
1. “You can always leave your childhood trauma, your abusive mom or dad behind. Never be a victim.” — unknown
2. “Growing up and trying to have your own values and personality is not received well, and the narcissistic parent will try to sabotage you any way they can.” ― Diana Macey
3. “In the academic literature, making children responsible for the emotional well-being of the parents was referred to as emotional incest. It is a heavy burden for young children because they do not even know how to look after their own emotions yet.” ― Diana Macey
4. “Dysfunctional parents let their children know how burdened they have been by their children and how many sacrifices they had to make in order to raise them.” — Dr. Marita Sirota
5. “Narcissist parents do not know their children; they aren’t interested in what they have to say unless it affects them.” — Tina Fuller
6. “It made me feel responsible, as well as the usual ‘everything we do is for you.’ I felt bad they had to work so hard to buy food and clothes for me, and I felt I had to justify my existence and repay them somehow.” ― Diana Macey
7. “Dysfunctional parents do not apologize. It is one feature that the children of narcissists would instantly agree on. They will lie and justify themselves, but never accept they did anything wrong.” ― Diana Macey
8. “Loneliness is a form of narcissism. A mother who is in harmony with her child, who understands her place in her child’s life and her role in society, is never lonely. Through caring for her child, all her needs are fulfilled.” — Jessamine Chan
9. “When children can’t rely on their parents to meet their needs, they cannot develop a sense of safety, trust, or confidence. Trust is a colossal development issue. Without the learning of trust in our early years, we are set up to have a major handicap with believing in ourselves and feeling safe in intimate connections.” ― Karyl McBride
10. “Good parenting gives headaches, but bad parenting gives heartaches.” — Shiv Khera
See also: 120 Bad Parents Quotes To Inspire You To Be The Best One
I hope you liked y collection of toxic narcissistic mother quotes.
Until next time!
Read next: 60 Best Bad Mom Quotes To Make Sure You’re A Good One!
Heaven is Under Your Mother’s Feet – The Criterion Experience
Saturday 24th of December 2022
[…] Source […]