True friendship means you’re still there for your friends when life brings difficult periods their way.
Life can be unpredictable and one moment you’re just heartbroken and sitting there in your room thinking about your beloved friend who is grieving.
Most certainly you can’t do something specific to ease their pain, and you know that they need divine help from above.
Today’s article is dedicated to these devastating circumstances and situations when you need a little help to say a powerful prayer to comfort a grieving friend.
Keep reading to find the best examples of such prayers I collected from different online sources.
Let’s have a look!
10 Best Prayers To Comfort A Grieving Friend
Some friends are more like family members to us. We are sad if they are sad. Let’s read my 10 best prayers to comfort a grieving friend and then proceed to other powerful prayers:
1. “Father, I pray that my friend’s grief heals smoothly, for You will be with them every step of the way. May they hold on to You for strength, hope, and sustenance. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.”
2. “Almighty God, source of all mercy and giver of comfort; deal graciously with my grieving friend, that, casting all his sorrow on you, he may know the consolation of your love. Amen.”
3. “Father God, I lift up my friend who is mourning a loved one. I ask that You would bring her comfort in the midst of this life-shaking event. Let her not be overcome with sadness, but strengthen her by an awareness of Your presence. Amen.”
4. “Dear Lord God, I ask that you comfort and guide my friend as they grieve the loss of their mother. Help them know that you love and care for them always. Amen.”
5. “Dear Lord, my friend has lost someone dear to him and he is struggling with his overwhelming emotions. I ask that you envelop him with the comfort and peace only You can provide. Amen.”
6. “Heavenly Father, please give my grieving friend the strength to see beyond her pain and sorrow so she can focus on what is important now — honoring the memory of her husband by living a life of purpose and joy. Amen.”
7. “Lord, tonight I pray for my grieving friend. I know Your love can take away their sorrow. This I ask through Christ our Lord, amen.”
9. “Father, I pray that my friend’s heart is soothed as she finds strength in You after her great loss. I pray that she does not lose hope as she grieves. Amen.”
10. “Heavenly Father, please remind my friend of Your unfailing love and comfort during this difficult time. Your grace is more than sufficient to carry her through this heartache. Amen.”
Uplifting Prayers To Comfort A Friend Who Grieves
“I, I am he who comforts you.” – Isaiah 51:11-12
Whenever we feel powerless and desperate, let us not forget that God is the one who will comfort us.
Continue reading to find uplifting and comforting prayers when your friend is grieving:
1. “God, I pray that as my friend goes through this season of sorrow that you would show her Your love and grace. Help her find peace, wipe her tears and restore her strength. Amen.”
2. “God, You are the sustainer of those who are bereaved. I pray for Your comfort and protection for my dear friend whose spouse has passed away. Not only is my friend grieving the loss of a life-long companion and lover, but they are now also faced with many confusing decisions. Give comfort for grief, wisdom in decisions, and may my friend find solace in walking with You and joy in the company of family and friends. Amen.”
3. “Gracious and Loving Father, I pray for my friend who is grieving the loss of their loved one. I ask that you bring them comfort and strength, fulfilling the promise that you are near to the brokenhearted. Surround them, oh Lord, with a community of people who will show them love, compassion, and care. I ask that you would help them in their darkest moments to cling to you. Help them to draw near to you as they are grieving. I ask that they will find hope and healing in the coming months and years. Amen.” – Pamela Palmer
4. “Lord, You are the God of strength, hope, and comfort. This is a sure promise and I pray that my grieving friend would find solace in this truth. Lend them Your strength as they lean on You for support and comfort during this very difficult time. I pray for rest and refreshment for their tired and weary soul, as only You can give them the rest they need. Blessed be God forever. Amen.”
5. “Dear God, I lift up my best friend who is mourning a loved one. Protect her heart and mind. I pray a sense of calm would take hold, even while emotions around her run high, and that the peace you give her would overflow onto those nearby. Help her find moments of solace in the natural world You’ve created. Thank You for being the God of all comfort, the One who holds us in Your hand. It says in Your Word that one day there will be no more death. But for now, I praise You for holding my friend close and giving her rest. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
6. “Dear God, You see my friend who is hurting right now because of losing a loved one. I pray for You to comfort and carry this precious woman in her pain, loss, and sadness. Cover her with Your love and peace. Her heart and mind are weary, so humbly I pray that You can provide her the peace and rest her heart seeks. I offer this prayer for healing her heart as she learns to navigate life without her loved ones. Let her find serenity in You, knowing her loved one is at peace in Your arms. I pray she takes comfort in knowing that her loved one is already in a better place. In Your most Holy name, I pray. Amen.”
7. “Lord, You are the God of strength, hope, and comfort. This is a sure promise and I pray that my grieving friend would find solace in this truth. Please help them to be strong and courageous during this time of sorrow, knowing that You are with them. I pray for my friend to look to You for help. Lend them Your strength as they lean on You for support and comfort during this very difficult time. I pray for rest and refreshment for their tired and weary soul, as only You can give them the rest they need. I humbly ask that You renew my friend’s strength as they place their hope in you. Blessed be God forever. Amen.”
8. “Dear God, I lift up my friend who is mourning the loss of a loved one. I pray that You bring them comfort amidst this painful event. We hold on to Your promise of walking with us through the darkest valleys of our lives, and I know we are not alone, especially during this difficult time. With this condolence prayer, I pray that my dear friend’s heart is soothed as they find strength in You. Please watch over them and take away their anguish, so that they may see Your light at the end of the tunnel. I pray that they do not lose hope as they grieve, for You have great plans for them amidst all this pain. Protect their heart and mind with Your peace. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
9. “Dear God, You see this man who is hurting right now because of losing a loved one. He is my good friend. His heart and mind are weary, so humbly I pray that You can provide him the peace and rest his hearts seek. I offer this prayer for healing his heart as he learns to continue living his life without his precious one. Let him find serenity in You, knowing his loved one is at peace in Your arms. Oh God give me strength to be with my friend in these trying times. Only You know how difficult it is for me to watch him suffer. Amen.”
10. “Lord, I pray that even amid her grief, my friend would celebrate her life and cherish the memories she had with her husband. May she hold on to the hope that she will see him again in Heaven with You. Amen.”
Short Prayers For A Grieving Friend
“Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.” – Ecclesiastes 7:2-3
God’s love for us is never-ending, although we may lose heart in the times of loss.
Sorrow may lead to a positive spiritual impact on our hearts and soul. Let’s read a few short prayers to comfort a grieving friend:
1. “O God who abundantly supplies every need, I come before you on behalf of my grieving friend. In a time of mourning, needs are great. In sorrow, bring peace. In despair, bring hope. Amen.”
2. “Lord, I know that You are the God who heals. Today, I pray for my friend whose heart is heavy-laden with sadness and grief for losing a loved one. May he come to You, Jesus, to find rest for his weary heart and broken spirit. I pray that You lead him beside still waters to calm his troubled mind. In the name of Jesus Christ.”
3. “Lord, thank You for You always go before us. The grief and emptiness that my friend feels now in losing a loved one is not the end for him, for he knows You hold tomorrow in Your hands. May he always focus on You and know that he can always find comfort and refuge in Your love. Amen.”
4. “Dear God, though my friend mourns over this loss, I pray for her strength to overcome this sorrow so that she is able to celebrate the life of her loved one instead. As he embarks on his journey to Your kingdom, I pray for his soul to find eternal rest and peace in Your presence. Amen.”
5. “Jesus Christ, I ask for your holy hands to touch my friend so that they may feel you heal their broken heart. They are hurting after the death of a loved one. Please comfort them and bring them peace in knowing that their loved one is with you in Heaven. Let their pain be replaced with love and joy again. Let their heart be healed by your grace. Amen.”
6. “Dear Jesus Christ, I ask for your strength today and to be by my friend’s side through this difficult time of grief. Heal my friend and help them understand that even though this has happened, there is hope. Help them feel comfortable talking about what happened with me. I know they are probably scared and confused. Help us find our way through this tragedy. Amen.”
7. “Dear Jesus Christ, there is a friend of mine who lost someone they love very much. I treasure this person and I want them to treasure the memories of their loved one too, so please help me by telling my friend something which will comfort and encourage them. Let your words be kind and true. Help me say them in the right way, without upsetting them. Amen.”
8. “Heavenly Father, from the very depths of my heart I pray for my friend who is experiencing this time of loss. I ask that you would give her the strength to bear her sorrows, peace to trust in your goodness, and comfort in the sure knowledge that you are with her always. Amen.”
9. “Dear Jesus Christ, thank you for being there in times of pain and tragedy. Thank you for showing us that even in the darkest nights, Your light is still shining through. Thank you for giving us hope in our time of despair when we think that everything is going wrong. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for watching over my friend who has lost a loved one.”
10. “O God who raises the dead, who has secured our eternal state through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, help my friend who is grieving the loss of his loved one. Amen.”
Beautiful Prayers For A Grieving Friend
“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” – Psalm 34:18
In the season of loss, our Lord’s presence comforts us and saves us.
This section brings you 10 beautiful prayers to comfort a grieving friend when they need it most:
1. “God of love and mercy, embrace my dear friend whose heart today overflows with grief, unanswered questions and such a sense of loss. Grant her space to express her tears. Amen.”
2. “Heavenly Father, please keep and carry my precious friend in his sadness and loss. Cover him with your great wings of love, give his weary heart a rest and his mind sound sleep. Lord, lift his eyes so that he may catch a glimpse of eternity, and be comforted by the promise of heaven. Please help him pick himself up. I ask all this in the precious name of Jesus. Amen.”
3. “Father, I know that You are the God who gives strength to the weary and who binds up the wounds of the brokenhearted. My good friend has lost his wife. Help him face each day with renewed hope. I pray that Your peace will guard his heart and mind. I will place my trust in You for I know You will answer my prayer. Amen.”
4. “Dear Lord, I lift to You my beloved friend who lost someone dear to them. Cover them with Your comfort and give them strength and courage to accept their loss. Remind them that You have a purpose for their grief and that You will help them heal. Grief consumes them. But, I pray that they seek Your guidance in embracing this loss. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, amen.”
5. “Dear God, I know that You are close to the brokenhearted and You are the God who heals and comforts. I pray for my friend who is still battling loneliness from losing his loved one. Heal the wounds of his heart and renew his strength and spirit. Bring him peace and hope, Lord. Let him be reminded of Your unfailing love that never leaves us. I know your Holy Spirit will guide him in dealing with this loss of life. Amen.”
6. “O God, come to my friend’s assistance; o Lord, hurry to help her. Please take the consuming grief she feels right now; take it from her and hold her in Your arms. Heal her broken heart and bind up her wounds (see Psalm 147:3). Amen.”
7. “Gracious God, I come to You on behalf of my friend whose unhappy situation has caused her to have to give up her university studies at this time. Lord, You know how much we will miss each other, and how she grieves this loss of opportunity to finish her education. Lord, I pray that You will encircle her with Your loving kindness and fill her with hope and encouragement. Help her to work through this situation so that she can return to college in the near future. Amen.”
8. “Jesus, You said, ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted’. My friend is mourning; send him Your comfort now. Wrap Your arms around him and hold him tight. Send angels of mercy to him. Shower Your comfort on him through those around him, and keep far from him those whose words and actions are no comfort. Also, God please help me through this difficult time as I’m doing my best to be there for him. Amen.”
9. “O God enthroned on high, I pray for my friend who is suffering this disability and grieving the loss of mobility. My friend longs to go for long walks and enjoy Your creation and do all the things he once did, and now he is confined to a wheelchair. Lord, please ease him through these frustrating times, and help him to draw strength from You. Lord, I pray that You would touch his body and bring freedom from pain, and bring healing and restoration. Amen.”
10. “Lord, today I pray for my grieving friend whose life has been touched by a tragedy. Immerse her in Your divine love and lead her through the darkness into Your arms and light. Amen.”
Sympathy Prayers For A Grieving Friend
“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:19
The Almighty always knows what’s best for us. Find a prayer for comfort or a sympathy prayer for times when life is difficult and your dear friend is grieving:
1. “O Lord, you’ve taken my friend’s joy from her. Her dearest one is gone from this life, and she is left with pain and sorrow. Even as she mourns the passing of her loved one, remind her of her strength. Amen.”
2. “God, our Great Provider, I pray for my friend who has suffered the loss of financial security. She is grieving all the things she once took for granted and is fearful of an uncertain future. Lord, help her not to fear these bad news, but to have a steadfast heart, trusting in Your provision for her every need. Lord, You know she has always been generous to those less fortunate, and now I pray that You will be generous in restoring her to a place of security as she trusts You. Amen.”
3. “God of all comfort, I pray You would draw near to my friends who are experiencing the unacknowledged grief of infertility. They long so deeply to have a child of their own, but in spite of treatments, they suffer recurring grief, month after month, year after year. And their grief is mostly unknown to many people around them. Heal these painful wounds of sorrow, and somehow make a way for them to know of the joy of parenthood. Pull them out of their misery and into Your arms of love. Amen.”
4. “Father of Mercies, please comfort my friend whose parent has died. Bring peace to my friend’s soul and consolation in reliving happy memories. Dearest Father, our sweetest comforts come from You. May Your Precious Holy Spirit touch my friend’s soul and bring hope and joy in this heavy sorrow. Help me to also be a source of comfort and help in this time of need. Amen.”
5. “Father of Compassion, bring comfort to my friend who has lost a beloved pet that has been a faithful companion for many years. Many might think this is a small thing, but this pet has held a special place in my friend’s heart. Wipe away my friend’s tears and bring joy in this dark time. Help me to be an understanding and encouraging friend. Raise my friend up from sadness to find fulfillment in Your love. Amen.”
6. “O God of Limitless Understanding, I pray for my friend that is grieving the loss of her marriage. Lord, hear her cries and comfort her torn and wounded heart. I thank You that through Christ our comfort overflows. Please come alongside her now and bring consolation and encouragement. Please guide me in helping her through this time. Lord, help her grow in her faith in You and bless her in her new life. Amen.”
7. “Lord, our Strength-Giver, I intercede for my friend who has moved to a new city and is grieving the loss of old friends and church family. This transition has been difficult, and I pray that my friend will be able to keep in touch with us, but at the same time embrace this new life and cultivate new friends that are kindred spirits. Lead my friend to a wonderful church and a new family there. May my friend take comfort in knowing that You are the closest Friend we could ever hope to have. Amen.”
8. “Lord of Unfailing Compassion, I pray for my dear friends who have lost their child. I can’t imagine the grief they are enduring right now. But I know that You are near to the brokenhearted. O Lord, heal their hearts and bind up their crushed spirits. Help them to see light in the darkness and to draw comfort from each other. Surely, blessed Jesus, You carried our sorrows. I pray that You will carry them through this season of sadness. Help me to be a good friend to them and minister to them in the way they most need. Amen.”
9. “Lord of Blessing, I pray for my companion whose job has ended. She is grieving the loss of identity and income that her career brought her, and also misses the community and friendship of her colleagues. I ask that You come alongside her at this time and let her know that You are her guide and her friend. Help her find a new position that brings even better income with great working conditions and new friends. Amen.”
10. “Heavenly Father, our time on Earth seems so brief. My friend has just lost someone dear to him. As he mourns her passing, help him walk in faith, fight the good fight, and finish the race himself. Amen.”
More Powerful Prayers To Comfort A Grieving Friend
“The Lord is my Shepherd.” – Psalm 23
It is rewarding, fulfilling and peaceful to live under the care and love of our gentle Shepherd.
Dear friends, my collection ends with more powerful Christian prayers to comfort a grieving friend and strength prayers for a mourning friend:
1. “Father, as my friend grieves for her precious little one, give her hope, healing and grace. Help her remember her son with joy. Amen.”
2. “O Lord, Mighty in power, I intercede for our loved one who is grieving the loss of good health. Bring him freedom from pain, and come to him to comfort and sustain him on his sickbed. I pray that You will graciously restore him to full health, for Your Word says that the effective prayer of a righteous person will raise the sick person up. Be gracious to him and heal him. Protect and preserve him. Remind him that You are the strength of his heart and his portion forever. Amen.”
3. “Gracious Father, right now I lift up my friend whose closely-held dream seems to be put on hold. It says in Scripture that Your Ways are higher than ours, and that we must not lean on our own understanding. So in this time of disappointment, help my friend to turn to You as his confidant and comforter. In moments when he feels lost, give him clarity of mind through Your Word and through prayer. Provide supportive friends and wise counselors to guard his steps. Father, I give praise that You have good plans and purpose for us. Let this be a chance for my friend to renew his commitment to serve You in the way You desire. For, out of that will come true success, satisfaction, and joy for him. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
4. “Dear God, my good friend has been lonely for a long time. She finds it really hard to cope with an empty nest. My friend is at the end of one season, but has the gift of beginning a new one. Reassure her that even as her role shifts, her position as their mother will never change. She will always be needed, especially as a mentor and a prayer warrior. If she starts to fall into lethargy, renew her sense of purpose. I praise You, Father, for doing new things in our lives. Let her find satisfaction in how she raised her children as they grew, and enjoy getting to know them today as adults. I also pray that she would be excited to find ways to serve You going forward. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
5. “Heavenly Father, today I pray for a dear friend that lost his job. Lead him into Your Word, where he will find encouragement and hope for his spirit. As my friend processes this change, Father, may he be reminded that his identity does not come from a job — his work does not define him. Reassure him that he is valuable to You, and deeply loved, just as he is at this moment. Amid all the advice he might receive, give him discernment to recognize Your still, small whisper. I lift up praise, God, for Your promise that we have a hope and a future. Let my friend embrace this truth now, so that he can rest in You as he waits for what’s next. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
6. “Lord, I pray for my friend who has just suffered a job loss. Father, please meet him in this difficult, even scary place, for You are his shelter in the storm. Help him to release any feelings of shock, anger, or confusion to You, and shield his heart so that bitterness would not take root. Thank You for being our Provider, and that You already know all our greatest needs. Let Him turn to You to supply everything he lacks, and to grow in trust as he sees You respond. I ask that You would care for him physically, in very practical ways. Grant him emotional support through quiet time with You, and through family and friends.”
7. “Lord God, thank You for the gentleness and tender care You desire to show my friend as her marriage is ending. Every divorce is a painful situation that affects so many people. So I pray that You would cover and provide for not just her, but family and friends who are impacted by it as well — let Your grace abound. Father, be the balm that her heart needs now. When she feels regretful or angry, bring Your soothing touch. As she mourns, keep her from despair. If loneliness becomes too great, break its grip. I ask that You guide her to take good care of herself, and to accept the kindness other people show towards her. Amen.”
8. “Heavenly Father, my beautiful friend’s marriage is over. Please reassure her that even though her marriage has ended, she never has to fear being separated from You, Lord. May she find great comfort in knowing that Your love for her is strong, unchanging, and unbreakable. Let a greater sense of Your presence bring peace to her soul. I praise You, God, for being our Deliverer, and that You will bring my friend through this time into a place of hope and renewal. Right now, please give her strength to get up and meet each morning, and the wisdom to spend quiet time with You during the day. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
9. “Dear God, I come before You to lift up my friend who is now an empty-nester. You created us to be in families, and understand how strong the bond is between parents and children. My friend has invested herself into their lives, raising and caring for them, and is now watching them step out on their own. It is an important time of separation for a child, yet a bittersweet one for mom. Let her not fall into excessive sadness, but teach her how to look back with fondness. Turn any agitation into calm. Amen.”
10. “Father, You bless those who mourn and you wipe away our tears. Right now, as my friend mourns, all I can do is come to you and ask that you bless, heal and comfort her broken heart. Amen.”
“For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort, too.” – 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Thank you for reading my list of 60 prayers to comfort a grieving friend! I hope it was helpful and inspirational!
Whatever comes our way, God never leaves us alone in despair. True friends do the same for each other – they offer support and stay by your side in both good and bad times.
If you combine this with a powerful prayer, you’ll be at peace knowing that you’ve done everything that’s in your power to comfort your grieving friend.
Here’s one more amazing Bible verse for the end:
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” – Lamentations 3:22-23
May God bless you and your friend!