Love and death, ecstasy and pain are two sides of the same coin. Both help us to reach infinity beyond the physical realm.
While most of us have sweet feelings of joy and optimism when we contemplate love, Edgar Allan Poe offered quite a different perspective.
Today’s article will make you rethink love and romance. Quotes you’re about to read are nothing like any other love quotes.
Prepare to broaden your perspective on living, loving and dying with some of the best Edgar Allan Poe love quotes!
Most Beautiful Love Quotes By Edgar Allan Poe
1. “Tell me every terrible thing you ever did, and let me love you anyway.” — Edgar Allan Poe
2. “I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.” — Edgar Allan Poe
3. “I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
4. “Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.” — Edgar Allan Poe
5. “That which you mistake for madness is but an over acuteness of the senses.” — Edgar Allan Poe
6. “We loved with a love that was more than love…With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
7. “For passionate love is still divine, I lov’d her as an angel might, with ray of the all living light, which blazes upon Edis’ shrine.” — Edgar Allan Poe
8. “You call it hope – that fire of fire! It is but agony of desire.” — Edgar Allan Poe
9. “There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion.” — Edgar Allan Poe
10. “I could not love except where Death was mingling his with Beauty’s breath.” — Edgar Allan Poe
See also: 150 Deep Dark Quotes About Life, Death, Pain & Love
Soul Deep Love Quotes By Edgar Allan Poe
1. “I have no words — alas! — to tell the loveliness of loving well!” ― Edgar Allan Poe
2. “From childhood’s hour I have not been. As others were, I have not seen. As others saw, I could not awaken. My heart to joy at the same tone. And all I loved, I loved alone.” — Edgar Allan Poe
3. “Close, close all night the lovers keep. They turn together in their sleep, close as two pages in a book that read each other in the dark. Each knows all the other knows, learned by heart from head to toes.” — Edgar Allan Poe
4. “The memory of a past happiness is the anguish of today.” — Edgar Allan Poe
5. “Because it was my crime to have no one on Earth who cared for me, or loved me.”― Edgar Allan Poe
6. “Thou wast that all to me, love, for which my soul did pine – a green isle in the sea, love, a fountain and a shrine, all wreathed with fairy fruits and flowers, and all the flowers were mine.” — Edgar Allan Poe
7. “Yet we met, and fate bound us together at the alter, and I never spoke of passion nor thought of love. She, however, shunned society, and attaching herself to me alone rendered me happy. It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
8. “But our love was stronger by far than the love of those who were older than we / Of many far wiser than we / And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea,
can ever dissever my soul from the soul / Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.” — Edgar Allan Poe
9. “There is something in the unselfish and self-sacrificing love of a brute, which goes directly to the heart of him who has had frequent occasion to test the paltry friendship and gossamer fidelity of mere Man.” — Edgar Allan Poe
10. “Deep in earth my love is lying and I must weep alone.” — Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe Love Quotes To Inspire You
1. “Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore…” — Edgar Allan Poe
2. “The most natural, and, consequently, the truest and most intense of the human affections are those which arise in the heart as if by electric sympathy.” — Edgar Allan Poe
3. “O, human love! thou spirit given, on Earth, of all we hope in Heaven!” — Edgar Allan Poe
4. “If passion it can properly be called, was of the most thoroughly romantic, shadowy, and imaginative character. It was born of the hour, and of the youthful necessity to love. It had no peculiar regard to the person, or to the character, or to the reciprocating affection…” — Edgar Allan Poe
5. “And so being young and dipt in folly I fell in love with melancholy.” — Edgar Allan Poe
6. “I was cautious in what I said before the young lady; for I could not be sure that she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not.” — Edgar Allan Poe
7. “Yes, I now feel that it was then on that evening of sweet dreams – that the very first dawn of human love burst upon the icy night of my spirit. Since that period I have never seen nor heard your name without a shiver half of delight half of anxiety.” — Edgar Allan Poe
8. “Love like mine can never be gotten over.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
9. “There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart – an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.” — Edgar Allan Poe
10. “His heart is a suspended lute; As soon as you touch it, it resonates.” — Edgar Allan Poe
Meaningful Edgar Allan Poe Quotes On Love
1. “Years of love have been forgot, In the hatred of a minute.” — Edgar Allan Poe
2. “Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.” — Edgar Allan Poe
3. “And so, all the night-tide, I lay down the side, of my darling, my darling, my life, and my bride, in the sepulcher there by the sea, in her tomb by the surrounding sea.” — Edgar Allan Poe
4. “Imperceptibly the love of these discords grew upon me as my love of music grew stronger.” — Edgar Allan Poe
5. “All suffering originates from craving, from attachment, from desire.” — Edgar Allan Poe
6. “The death then of a beautiful woman is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world, and equally is it beyond doubt that the lips best suited for such topic are those of a bereaved lover.” — Edgar Allan Poe
7. “She was a maiden of rarest beauty, and not more lovely than full of glee. And evil was the hour when she saw, and loved, and wedded the painter. He, passionate, studious, austere, and having already a bride in his Art; she a maiden of rarest beauty, and not more lovely than full of glee; all light and smiles, and frolicsome as the young fawn; loving and cherishing all things; hating only the Art which was her rival;” — Edgar Allan Poe
8. “In the Heaven’s above, the angels, whispering to one another, can find, among their burning terms of love, none so devotional as that of ‘Mother.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
9. “Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now.” — Edgar Allan Poe
10. “To be thoroughly conversant with Man’s heart, is to take our final lesson in the iron-clasped volume of Despair.” ― Edgar Allen Poe
To love is to suffer and die a thousand deaths each day; deaths of ego, since love and ego don’t go hand in hand.
Was that what Edgar Allan Poe had in mind when he said “I could not love except where Death was mingling his with Beauty’s breath.”?
I hope you enjoyed reading Edgar Allan Poe love quotes I prepared for today.
Until next time!